I have been out in Surrey all day talking to candidates and citizens about gang violence there for an election article.
Ironically the violence Friday was in Burnaby and Vancouver with major police incidents resulting in three people being killed.
Several police agencies responded to a shots fired call just before 7:00 a.m. in the 3800-block of Frances Street in North Burnaby.
One man had been killed inside a residence there and the suspect remained at the scene, RCMP Sgt. Annie Linteau said in a news release.
“A perimeter was established with coordinated resources from the Lower Mainland District and the Vancouver Police Department given the proximity,” Linteau said.
“Attempts to negotiate with the suspect failed and due to the possibility that additional individuals’ lives may be at risk, police entered the home,” she said. “Shots were fired, the circumstances of which are now under investigation.”
The suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene. His death is now being probed by the Independent Investigations Office.
“The scene and all weapons have been secured in anticipation of the arrival of the IIO BC,” Linteau said. “Police can also confirm the initial male victim was located deceased within the residence and that they were also able to safely evacuate an upstairs tenant without further issue.”
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the IIO Toll-free Witness Line at 1-855-446-8477 (TIPS).
While the IIO is looking into the suspect’s death, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team is investigating the circumstances surrounding the initial call to police and the subsequent death of the initial male victim, Linteau said.
Meanhile, Vancouver Police were busy Friday with two serious incidents.
Const. Brian Montague said that a man was arrested after a woman was fatally stabbed just after noon in inside a building at 215 Princess Street.
The 55-year-old victim died after an altercation with another resident of the building. She was stabbed and fled out the front door, Montague said.
“She collapsed on the street and was taken to hospital, but later died of her injuries,” Montague said. “Police have arrested a 42-year-old man and will be recommending a charge of murder.”
“Officers attended a nearby home and found a second man who barricaded himself inside. After a two-hour stand-off with police, he surrendered to officers.”
A 49-year-old woman was found in the home also suffering from serious injuries. She was taken to hospital, but is expected to survive, Montague said.
“It is still early in the investigation, but the preliminary information indicates the upstairs tenant in the home allegedly attacked the two people living in the basement suite. Police did recover items in the home that are believed to have been used as weapons by the suspect,” he said. “Investigators will be recommending two counts of attempted murder against a 45-year-old man who is known to police.”
Filed under: The Real Scoop Tagged: Annie Linteau, Breaking News, Brian Montague, Burnaby, Crime and Law, Independent Investigations Office, Kim Bolan, lower mainland, Murder and Homicide, Real Scoop, Vancouver Police Department, Vancouver Sun
