The Vancouver School Board says it is now facing a $27.78-million shortfall, up $3.1 million from their estimate made last month.
The increase is due to a $2.15-million reduction in grants from the province and an increase of $958,000 that the district will have to pay for network technology that is mandated by the province, VSB chairman Mike Lombardi said in an email. The network technology is called Next Generation Network and it is used to increase the capacity of schools to use more computers and the Internet.
Last year, Vancouver spent $1.8 million to install the new network, but they were told all future operating costs, including $1.3 million for this year, would be covered by the province, Lombardi said.
“However, that money, which would have been delivered through the usual hold back funds, instead went to cover increased enrolment in the province,” Lombardi said. “Vancouver was told yesterday that there is an additional cost for 2016-17 of nearly $1 million, bringing the cost so far to more than $2.2-million.
“This comes at a time when the Ministry is encouraging inquiry-based learning through the new curriculum and also directing districts that all students should be taught coding. Yet the ministry is downloading costs of the infrastructure needed to teach those skills to school districts.”
Earlier this week, the ministry of education announced the funding for public schools for next year. Lombardi said the funding raises per-student funding by $8 from $7,158 to $7,166 per student. VSB will have to pay $2.74 million as its share of the $25 million in administrative savings that the province requires, Lombardi said.
The board must balance its budget by June 30. It will present a plan to do so on March 31, which will be followed by public consultation, with a final budget expected by the end of April.
Sun Education Reporter
tsherlock@vancouversun.com
Filed under: B.C. Education Report, Education, News, Politics Tagged: Mike Lombardi, Vancouver School Board
